trotman

Blog

Choosing your university or college

Read Brian Heap’s advice on what to consider when making your choice of university: Location, reputation and open days For many applicants the choice of university or college is probably the main priority, with location being a key factor. However, many students have little or no knowledge of regional geography and have no concept of… Read more »


Is medicine the course for you?

Only around 40% of applicants for medicine are successful in gaining places. Does this mean that the remaining 60% were unsuitable? The answer, of course, is no. Many of those who are rejected are extremely strong candidates, with high grades at GCSE and AS under their belts and the personalities and qualities that would make them into excellent doctors. There… Read more »


What you need to know about UCAS applications and the points tariff

The UCAS application process can seem a daunting prospect, however, if you are organised and thorough then you should be able to navigate through it with ease. What is included in the UCAS application process? Applications to UK higher education courses are made through UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). Applications have to be completed… Read more »


Countdown to the Oxbridge application deadline

With the 15 October deadline for Oxbridge applications not far away, here’s a handy checklist of key dates to keep in mind: September Finalise your personal statement with your teachers. Visit the UCAS website and register. Fill in the UCAS form – UCAS applications may be submitted from mid-September, see the UCAS website for key dates…. Read more »


What makes a good UCAS personal statement?

A good personal statement is one that is written at the end of an exhaustive research process. Students who are right for the course, who have understood the demands of the subject and are ready to take on the challenge, write winning personal statements. Weak personal statements are under-prepared, written in a hurry and without… Read more »


Fresher’s Week Tips: How to survive – and thrive – in your first week away from home

Starting uni is a huge change, and so understandably the excitement is tinged with more than a little apprehension. The prospect of having to feed yourself, create an entirely new network of friends and adjust to the demands of higher education can seem overwhelming, but with the right attitude and some preparation you can easily… Read more »


Missed your uni offer? Don’t panic!

If your exam results surprised you – and not in a good way – and mean you’ve missed your uni offer, then you might feel like escaping to a desert island where the word ‘UCAS’ is not in the vocabulary. And you can: dress it up as a gap year, re-take a few exams and… Read more »


What to do on A Level results day … and after

Read Brian Heap’s advice from HEAP University Degree Course Offers on what to do on A Level results day … and after: Be at home! Do not arrange to be away when your results are published. If you do not achieve the grades you require, you will need to follow an alternative course of action and… Read more »


Do you need a law degree to go into the legal profession?

The legal profession in England and Wales is virtually unique in not requiring all entrants to have a law degree. In fact, many non- law graduates enter the profession through the full- time Graduate Diploma in Law programme (an intensive one- year postgraduate course for non- law graduates covering the essential foundation subjects taught as part of a law degree)…. Read more »


How to succeed in the Oxford and Cambridge written tests

Over the past few years, more and more students are achieving As and A*s at A level. As it has become harder to identify academically outstanding students through their A level results, both Oxford and Cambridge now rely on additional testing systems when selecting candidates for interview. From 2017 entry, all Cambridge colleges will be introducing common format written assessments,… Read more »